5 Things To Know About Lana Del Rey (Other Than She Was The Controversial Musical Guest On Last Weekend’s SNL)
Leading up to her Saturday Night Live debut last weekend, newcomer Lana Del Rey was already facing criticism because she lacks the experience that many of the show’s powerhouse musical guests have. And her critics had a point–her debut album hasn’t even been released yet (Born to Die is expected Jan. 30)–she’s had a more unconventional rise to fame as an Internet sensation.
It didn’t help that she delivered a shaky performance during Saturday’s broadcast. While she certainly looked glam, she played with her hair a lot and fidgeted–and she sort of whispered the words of her songs. (It was her big debut, so a case of the nerves seems normal.) Immediately following the show, she was ambushed with criticism–everyone from Juliette Lewis to Brian Williams (yes, the news guy!) had something to say. Though show host Daniel Radcliffe stuck up for her saying, “It was unfortunate that people seemed to turn on her so quickly. I think people are making it about things other than the performance…I don’t think it warranted anywhere near that reaction.”
Take a look at “Video Games”:
But there is more to Lana Del Rey than one performance. Here are fun facts about the singer completely and totally unrelated to SNL drama…
1. Her name is Lizzy Grant. Make that Elizabeth Grant, but she goes by Lizzy. The whole Lana Del Rey is a creation by her “people”–they thought the new name would be a better fit with her sound–and have been marketing her as the “gangsta Nancy Sinatra.”
2. She’s not a Nancy Sinatra fan. In fact, she’s trying to shake that label. “As soon as [that term] flew out of [my manager’s] mouth, it f–king stuck like glue,” she has said. “I spend eight f–king years writing gorgeous songs and someone in a meeting says ‘gangsta Nancy Sinatra’ and that’s that. It’s brutal. I know two of Nancy’s songs but she’s not someone I’ve ever really listened to. I know everything about Frank, of course, because he’s the real singer. It just goes to show how f–king stupid people can be sometimes.” for the record, she defines her style as “Hollywood Sadcore.”
3. She’s a Gemini. She was born June 21, 1986– making her astrological sign a Gemini. She spent the first few years of her life living in New York City, then moved upstate to Lake Placid. In her teens, she attended boarding schooling in Connecticut.
4. This is actually her second album (but she’s counting it as if it’s her first). In 2010, before she was known as Lana, Lizzy Grant put out a full-length studio album titled Lana Del Rey. Her father, who is a millionaire businessman, helped market it and it was available on iTunes, but then her manager yanked so that they could rework her image and she could become Lana Del Rey instead of be Lizzy Grant (which has a tweenie bopper Lizzie McGuire feel.)
5. She hearts Britney Spears. She has cited Britney, Elvis Presley and Kurt Cobain as three of her musical influences.